Thursday 13 February 2014

Harsh.TV Does an exclusive Interview with - The very Talented Terry Emm


Q.Tell us about who you are & What you do? 

I'm Terry Emm from a town called Leighton Buzzard in Bedfordshire and I write songs. Mostly about my philosophical outlooks on life, relationships and heavily influenced by nature. I play guitar mainly and sing.

Q: Describe your Music in 5 words 

Pastoral, philosophical, sentimental, understated, acoustic, 

Q.Please give your Fans 3 Fun Facts About you

I once claimed to a local Church pastor that I was the reincarnation of Jesus- it's funny to look back on I guess...although still believe those stories are allegorical for each individual's life, so infact we're all the hero of the story (and the villain).

I have slept in the Amazon rainforest for a couple of nights- that was pretty fun...

According to Tom Parker from The Wanted, I am his 'nigger-bro'...

Q. What makes your Voice Stand Out from other Artists? 

It’s my voice and not theirs. I think I have quite a soft voice which can also be quite powerful. Its different to the gravelly tone of a lot of folk singers. It sounds soft on record but I think is more powerful in the live setting, which makes both sides to my music a little different.

Q. Do you Write Your Own Material? 

Yeah.

Q: What are your Current projects that you are working on? 

I have a new album 'Starlight' coming out later this year which features strings by a great string arranger Calina De La Mare who has worked with a lot of my heroes including Sophia and Tindersticks. The album was produced with Michael Clarke who also works with some cool people. The title track 'Starlight' is out digitally on 3rd March and there will be a couple of other singles to follow.

Q: Where do you see yourself in 5 years time? 

Possibly run away to a Buddhist monastery in India.

Q: Where do you get your inspiration from? 

My life experiences mainly and thoughts as I explore this strange world. But reading, other music, art- preferably something beautiful or seemingly random that catches me off guard and makes me think and re-evaluate my life.

Q: Who would you rather listen to UK or US Music? 

I listen to music from both, no real preference- depends on mood. I think there's a lot of focus on the US in the UK which maybe makes it harder for UK acts to break through- allot of them have to go to US it seems and come back it looks like.

Q:What Artists do you listen to? 

Too many to mention, really. Anything and everything. Slint to Snoop Dogg. My favourite ever band however is Red House Painters.

Q:Who influences your music? 

All time stuff that has shaped it or given me comfort in life that I resonate with would be- Red House Painters, Sun Kill Moon, Iron And Wine, Sophia, Tindersticks, Elliot Smith, Neil Young, Art Of Fighting, Mogwai, Nick Drake, John Denver, Clifford T Ward, Gravenhurst. Right now I'm loving Marc Ford, Pylo, The 1975, Get The Blessing...

Q: Please describe your fashion style in 5 words? 

What mum buys for Xmas.

Q: How can people Contact you & Collaborate with you? 

You can contact me over social media or my manager theohallagency@live.com



Terry Emm – From Dark To Starlight With New Release And Tour Dates

Terry Emm is a man rising into light.  Tipped by fans Bob Harris at Radio 2 and Chris Hawkins of BBC 6 Music, 2014 is shaping up for this young London songwriter.
   
New release ‘Starlight’ is due on 3rd March, the title track taken from his third album.  This is a new musical adventure from previous albums that saw him struggling to get out of a darker personal space - now accomplished and apparent in the intricate rhythmic finger-picking and effortless soaring strings that the record displays he is fast becoming known for his quality intriguing live performances. 

The release accompanies a set of tour dates, including shows for which he was handpicked to support current British buzz act Emma Stevens, folk artisans Moulettes, and the incredible American blues man Harry Manx.

Talking of the song’s origin Emm says:            

“I came up with the guitar riff whilst sitting on a park bench in Amsterdam on a friend’s down tuned guitar.  I wrote some words about the passing of my Nan - I thought it had an otherworldly, reminiscent feel much like looking back on the life of someone, helping me come to terms” 

English sensibilities refine a style that Emm has been working towards on his two preceding efforts.  The coming album was produced by Michael Clarke (Dan Whitehouse, Oh! Stockholm, Arbour Lights) and acclaimed string arranger Calina De La Mare (Tindersticks, Sophia).

‘Starlight’  the single is out 3rd March 2014


See Terry Emm at one of his upcoming UK dates:

08th Feb                   London                                    Silver Bullet
12th Feb                   Sheffield                                 The Green Room
13th Feb                   Manchester                             Unicorn
14th Feb                   Dundee                                    Café Borsa
22nd Feb                   Hemel Hempstead                                 Acoustic Café
28th Feb                   London                                    Proud Galleries
21st Mar                  Salford                                    The Eagle
22nd Mar                  Middlesbrough                        Marton Hotel                          Supporting Harry Manx
23rd Mar                  Keighley                                  The Octagon                           Supporting Harry Manx         
24th Mar                  London                                    Surya      
25th Mar                  London                                    Dublin Castle
27th Mar                  Stockport                 Blue Cat Café
04th April                 London                                    Borderline                               Supporting Emma Stevens
               
Links:     
Soundcloud:                   ‘Starlight’ (for embedding): https://soundcloud.com/terryemm/starlight-1
YouTube:                           http://www.youtube.com/user/terryemmofficial
Web:                                   http://www.terryemm.co.uk
Facebook:                                                 http://www.facebook.com/terryemmmusic

Press quotes:                 “Excellent, excellent music” -BOB HARRIS, BBC RADIO 2
“Such finely crafted songs”- R2 MAGAZINE
“Absolutely Delightful”- CHRIS HAWKINS, BBC 6 MUSIC
“Outstanding…pastoral, romantic and lit musically by summer rays…no routine singer- songwriter offering but some-thing totally engaging in melody and­­ lyric…the cult starts here”- **** 4/5- MOJO

For interviews and guest list please contact:       terri@iaatouring.com    

No comments:

Post a Comment